The Via Dolorosa

Map of the Via Dolorosa

The Via Dolorosa is shown here in red, along with the fourteen Stations of the Cross: 1) Jesus is condemned to death 2) Jesus receives the cross 3) Jesus falls the first time 4) Jesus meets His mother 5) Simon helps Jesus to carry the cross 6) Veronica wipes the face of Jesus 7) Jesus falls a second time 8) Jesus speaks to the women of Jerusalem 9) Jesus falls a third time 10) Jesus is stripped of his garments 11) Jesus is nailed to the cross 12) Jesus dies on the cross 13) Jesus is taken down from the cross 14) Jesus is layed in the tomb

A hypothetical map of the Via Dolorosa in the time of Jesus

This map of the Via Dolorosa at the time of the Crucifixion reflects traditional locations of events. Although the location of the Antonia Fortress is probable, the location of city walls and streets is hypothetical.

The Cloister of Scourging
From the Matson Collection

This garden of the Cloister of Scourging, part of the Second Station of the Cross, corresponds to a location somewhere within the Antonia Fortress during the lifetime of Jesus, near the traditional place of his punishment by Roman soldiers.

British soldiers, Palestinians, and visitors worship at the Third Station of the Cross in 1941
From the Matson Collection

A mixed group of British soldiers, Palestinians, and visitors worship at the Third Station of the Cross in 1941.

"Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick, and it giveth light unto all that are in the house."

The Jefferson Bible

The part of the Via Dolorosa where Simon carried the cross for Jesus
From the Matson Collection

A later uphill section of the Via Dolorosa, looking back downhill toward the east. According to tradition, this is where Simon the Cyrenian carried the cross for Jesus.1

1 The biblical researcher Robinson was struck by the steepness of the ascent from the east toward the west in the Old City. Robinson and Smith, Biblical Researches in Palestine and in the Adjacent Regions, Volume I, (Boston: Crocker and Brewster, 1856), 222

D.G.